Monday 3 September 2007

Susie is well excited

It's probably strange how very much I'm looking forward to going back to school tomorrow. Normally I'm as gutted as everyone else, even seeing my friends isn't that big an incentive because I’ve seen them so much over the summer. But this year, I’m going into sixth form.

Susie is a big girl now.

I don’t really know how different it’s going to be from the last 5 years at CHS, but I think it’s going to be good. I’m looking forward to only doing subjects I actually want to do (there’s General Studies and P.E. I suppose, but who actually goes to them anyway?); I’m looking forward to having new people in my form and classes, and potentially new friends; I’m looking forward to having frees; I’m looking forward to being better friends with me teachers; I’m looking forward to being in non uniform, even with all the silly rules that have come in; I’m looking forward to pushing in front of small people in the dinner queue, and not having to go to assembly. But most of all, I’m looking forward to the opportunities I’m going to have with my friends. The people I spend my time with over the next two years are going to be the people end up staying in touch with into uni and later life, and I honestly don’t know who it’s going to be.

As much as I love having a huge group of friends who all (on the surface anyway) get on with one another and meet up in huge numbers; what really makes me happy are individual relationships with one or two people - friendships where each provides something special for the other which other friends do not. It sounds really selfish to say that, I think, it sounds like I just want more attention for me, I want to be liked more; but I actually think humans were designed to desire that kind of relationship. After all, without such desires, why would we choose to have boyfriends and girlfriends, and ultimately spouses? Granted, other animals choose life partners, less out of love than for the continuation of the species; but biology and procreation doesn’t explain why we have ‘best friends’, why we bond so closely to one particular person. It’s not that I want to have loads of ‘best friends’, but it’s that kind of thing that I think I’m missing: A mutual respect and love which is not necessarily greater than that for other friends, but is unique to that relationship.

Susie is probably too soppy.

Next year, it is my intention to build those kinds of relationships with people; to set routines which are never broken and hopefully, love even more those people who I love so much already.

0 comments: