Tuesday 1 January 2008

Susie is not as hopeful as she might be

I don’t quite understand people who think that a new year is going to be any different to the year before. All it is, is another day, another month; and somehow, because it’s another year, it’s ‘special’. We look back on the past year and think about the good times and the bad times, and vow that the new one will be better and happier and different. But it never is, is it. Years can be good, and years can be bad, but there are still the day to day struggles that can’t be banished by any wishful thinking.

New Year is supposedly a time to make resolutions, to change oneself; when the truth is, if you have any real intention of keeping to your resolution, you would have made it as soon as you realised it needed to be made.

There are so many different statistics on how successful New Years resolutions are, but in the end they all boil down to the fact that they are so very rarely seen through. And it’s because people don’t really care about them; they make resolutions because it’s a new year and that’s just what you do, but to me, it seems like a completely pointless exercise, because everyone knows they’ll never last.

Susie is perhaps just a little too pessimistic.

I’m right in the middle of my year’s resolution. I made it at Easter, when it needed to be made. And although my reasons for doing it are somewhat flawed now, I will keep it up; perhaps just as proof to myself that I can do things if I really want to.

I’ll get back to you on that one. It’ll be a good result. I promise.

Susie is, in fact, a little more optimistic than she thought.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always see New Year as a big transition but so far - of course - I've been as lazy and slack as last year.
Ah well, I'd like to express my admiration of you for the Easter thing.

Ami said...

Yes, as I said in my New Year blog - I don't get the whole 'woo, its a new year' thing. But I can understand why other people might.

And yes. I am proud of you for the easter thing... if it is what I am thinking it is. :)

Love you. xxxx

Anonymous said...

I had a New Year's resolution that lasted for three years. I have no idea how, it just did. Resolutions should be made when they need to be made, not because society thinks that 24 hours and a new calendar demands it. Of course, if you feel New Year is the time to make a resolution, go for it. And if you feel obliged to make one and then when you break it, its just smelly. Hmmm... I always end up writing so much in these little boxes. But I completely verstehe the whole 'how does everything suddenly change because its a new calendar year?' thing. I think our calendar is wrong. New Year shouldn't be fixed, but the 1/4 of a day should be used when it's there, not save it for 4 years. Oh dear, I've written far too much. Sorry, carry on.