Thursday 10 January 2008

Susie is not dead, don't worry.

Haha, as if you were worrying. Anyway, I’ve noticed that I haven’t blogged for a while. Not because I haven’t had anything to say, just because I haven’t really been able to put it into words. I’m not sure I’m going to do any better today.

During the last week I’ve made a fairly big decision which will probably affect the rest of my life. It’s a very boring decision, but it does change things somewhat. For the last couple of years I’ve been pretty sure I wanted to do zoology or animal science or something like that at university; something which will land me a nice, well paid job with animals. Following a visit from the Oxford Uni admissions officer in PSHE, I’ve come to realise that I don’t actually enjoy science lessons all that much. Perhaps it’s because I’m not doing so well in them this year, perhaps its because half of my teachers are either shit or horrible, perhaps it’s because I’ve never really liked science at all. Basically, I’m not sure I’m a very academic type person. I don’t respond well to mathematic problem/solution type set up. I’m not motivated enough to enjoy a challenge, and I’m not serious enough to gain satisfaction from success alone. And I don’t think it’s worth putting myself through 3 or 4 years of university I don’t enjoy, for a job that probably doesn’t even exist.

So instead, I’m going to do a drama degree. Like I said in a previous entry, I adore drama, I really do, I enjoy every lesson, and I’m even happy to do the written work. The way I see it, so far in my life, I’ve made my decisions based almost entirely on what I enjoy; why should I change now? So many people do degrees and then get a job not even related to them. I’m not deluded enough to believe I’ll ever get a career in drama, so I’m happy to take another route once I get there. Maybe I’ll find something else I enjoy by then. I don’t think I’m the sort of person who will settle for some crap job I don’t want to do, I’ll still be this stubborn when I leave university I’m sure.

Hopefully, this change of direction will make the truly appalling mark I just got in a chemistry module a little less important.

Susie is keeping her fingers crossed

There was another, slightly more interesting thing I wanted to say, but I think I’d rather keep it separate for some reason. I think I might need more time to think about it as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well it's always nice to know you're still alive. I changed my mind very recently about where I'm going in life. Unfortunately, I don't know what I've changed it too...

Anonymous said...

Sorry, not 'too' but 'to'. Sheesh, my grammar is appalling.

Anonymous said...

Well I think you'd be amazing at drama. To be honest I'm just doing the same thing, carrying on something I want to do, with no illusions about a career in the subject. Anyway, you never know! You could be Oscar-nominated in ten years time :)