Monday 5 May 2008

Susie is paranoid

And Susie is quite aware she needs to work on it.

I’m not used to things going right; I’m not used to things going the way I wanted. Especially when it comes to all those stupid things that girls care about more than they should and more than they ever let on. I’m scared of being disappointed by things, I’m scared of things happening that I hadn’t expected. You know, those things that just come completely out of the blue and make you feel sick.

For a while, I don’t think it made much of a difference; but now I’m starting to worry that it really is changing me. I don’t know if it’s a poor way of dealing with it, or just general cynicism, but I’ve found I always convince myself that the worst is going to happen. I’ll play through the worst possible situation again and again in my head until I truly believe that that’s what’s going to happen. That way, I’ll always be prepared for it, right? I can be happily surprised by something but never disappointed.

But even once something has gone right, once my genuine predictions have been proved wrong, I’m still just waiting for something to go wrong. When other people would be happy that for once things are working out, I’m sitting expecting it to be over any minute. I’ll look around for things that might mess things up, and convince myself they’re going to happen; sometimes I think I completely invent some myself.

And I feel like I should try to be more optimistic; I feel like I should only focus on the things that are going right, relax and take things as they come. But honestly? I can’t live like that, I’m terrified of life like that. If I’m not ready for the things that go wrong, then I won’t be able to deal with them when they do, will I?

The problem is, now I think this way of preparing myself for things going wrong is actually causing things to go wrong itself. People think I should change it, deep down I think I should change it; but I think I’m too scared.

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications

Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away

Susie is sorry, again.

-----
Susie is nervous, for some reason. And not the good kind of nervous that I get before I'm about to go on stage; the kind that I thrive on and enjoy, where I shake and my heart beats faster and I know that my body is coursing with adrenaline and I’m excited about what I’m about to do. Not even the kind of nervous I get before an exam, where I accept what I’m about to do but equally accept that worrying about it won’t make it go any better.

No, today I feel the sort of nervous I expect other people feel before either of those things, when I tell them to relax or enjoy it because I’ve never understood how they feel those kinds of nerves. I feel sick, I can’t concentrate, I can’t enjoy things, I can’t even sleep. As soon as I wake up, I start thinking over things and the queasy feeling in my stomach comes back, and I just can’t get to sleep again, and that was something I always used to be able to do. And it’s horrible, and I don’t know exactly why I feel like it, and I really, really wish it would go away.

1 comments:

Ami said...

Ha. Someones been listening to my MySpace playlist...

Still. I guess everyone gets those kinds of feelings sometimes Sooz, but the choice you have to make is whether to let your fear get the better of you.
Fear comes from the Devil, the lies and guilt and fears he puts in your head to stop you from having what Christ died so that you could have - life to the full!

Sooner or later you've got to choose to follow that life, or live the life of fear that the devil thrives on you living. It is not by any means an easy choice to make - the devil tells us things and we experience things that we believe are better for us because they are easier - to do the wrong thing because its easier for us in the short run, the selfish nature that has us believe that happiness comes from having things and keeping things to ourselves. But God knows better - and the life he has offered us is SO much better than that. Its dead amazing really.

This comment probably won't help you much at all... I just long for you to experience the thrill of knowing that the devil has no control over you whatsoever - because you are an heir to Christ's throne, a loved and chosen daughter of God, created and called by the Almighty, who loves and knows you better than anyone. To know this is divine, to waste it foolish.

You know I loves ya.
See you tomoz night.
xxxx